Cosmos a decentralized network of independent, scalable, and interoperable blockchains.
Cosmos is a network connecting many independent distributed ledgers (e.g., Ethereum, Bitcoin) to achieve interoperability across blockchains. Its goal is to "create an Internet of Blockchains", i.e., "a network of blockchains where each participant is able to communicate with each other in a decentralized way".
- Cosmos is built on a set of independent blockchains referred to as zones, which are powered by the Tendermint Core consensus mechanism - a Byzantine Fault Tolerance (BFT) consensus mechanism used to scale public Proof-of-Stake (PoS) blockchains.
- Defined as a "blockchain 3.0", Cosmos relies on three additional core elements:
- Cosmos Hub: the first of the "interconnected blockchains" that is referred to as the Cosmos Network.
- IBC Protocol: the Inter-Blockchain Communication protocol is a standardized interoperability protocol attempting to connect the global economy with blockchain technology.
- Cosmos SDK: it allows developers to build their custom blockchain and to connect it through the ITB protocol. For instance, Terra and Binance Chain are built with the Cosmos SDK.
- ATOM is the native asset of Cosmos and is used for on-chain governance. Specifically, ATOMs can be staked by zone validators to join hubs and conversely, their locked tokens would be slashed in case of malicious behavior (i.e., bonding mechanism). In addition, Cosmos Hub has a similar gas system as Ethereum, and requires ATOM to be used for transaction fees.
Start Trading Now!
This material has been prepared for general informational purposes only and should NOT be: (1) considered an individualized recommendation or advice; and (2) relied upon for any investment activities. All information is provided on an as-is basis and is subject to change without notice, we make no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, validity, reliability, availability or completeness of any such information. Binance.US does NOT provide investment, legal, or tax advice in any manner or form. The ownership of any investment decision(s) exclusively vests with you after analyzing all possible risk factors and by exercising your own independent discretion. Binance.US shall not be liable for any consequences thereof.